Hooper Hill Forestry will evaluate your property and create the right conditions for increasing wildlife habitat on your property. As avid nature enthusiasts, outdoorsmen, hikers and hunters ourselves, we understand the importance of supporting wildlife habitat and appreciate the beauty of the natural world.
We will work with you to determine what species (deer, bear, turkey, grouse/woodcock, beaver, birds, ducks, etc.) you wish to attract to your property and will then determine what alterations to your property need to occur in order to attract these species: Patch clear cuts and group selections, for example, create browse (the buds on sapling growth) that deer, bear, turkeys, and moose all need for food, whereas reclaiming old fields will attract a variety of birds who love nesting in the tall grasses, as well as providing food and habitat for large mammals.
Hooper Hill Forestry has over 15 years of experience developing habitat for a variety of wildlife species and looks forward to working with you. We have also worked with a number of wildlife specialists from private and State programs to develop our own methods.
Why increase Wildlife Habitat on your property?
- Promote Diversity: By improving your landscape with Hooper Hill Forestry to attract wildlife and create habitat, your property may serve as a refuge to species that would otherwise struggle to survive in more developed areas.
- Appreciate Nature: Hooper Hill Forestry can help you attract a variety of wildlife to your property for your enjoyment. Our office is located in the middle of the woods, next to a rich, beautiful wetland system. We love observing deer, moose, turkeys, ducks, geese, herons, beavers and porcupines on a daily basis.
- Improve Landscape and Increase Property Value: Drawing wildlife to your property can enrich the land, both by improving the landscape heath and increasing the attractiveness of your property.
- Improve Forest Health: Larger numbers of wildlife species enrich ecosystems, improving overall forest health and long-term sustainability.
Why Choose Hooper Hill Forestry to create Wildlife Habitat in New Hampshire and Vermont?
- Efficiency: Having personally worked thousands of acres of wildlife habitat in New Hampshire and Vermont, Hooper Hill Forestry owner Jordan King draws from many forestry practices and techniques to create wildlife habitat efficiently.
- Experience: With over 15 years of experience creating wildlife habitat in New Hampshire and Vermont, Hooper Hill Forestry saves you money by working quickly to determine what cuts and land management practices need to occur in order to attract the wildlife species of your choice.
- Customer Satisfaction: Hooper Hill Forestry has completed many successful habitat creation projects in New Hampshire and Vermont. We are proud of our work and relationships with Landowners.
Recent Wildlife Habitat Projects in Vermont and New Hampshire
Our most recent project focused on identifying and avoiding a deer wintering area on the Wentworth Town Forest in Wentworth, NH. We performed small group selections on the edge of their wintering habitat to provide nearby food (browse) during tough winters.
Other recent examples of wildlife habitat that we have worked with are:
- Regenerating aspen for woodcock and grouse habitat: These native birds feed on the aspen buds. This is accomplished by making group or patch clear cuts in areas where aspen is already found.
- Field Creation: Fields provide food and habitat for a variety of mammals and nesting birds. These fields can be planted with a variety of grass species, depending on which type of wildlife you are trying to attract. It is recommended that the fields are not mowed until August 1st of each year. This allows a variety of birds to nest in the tall grasses. By August 1st the young have left the nest and it is safe to mow. When combined with a timber harvest, the logging income can go towards field excavation costs.
- Deer/Bear/Moose Habitat Creation: Logging prescriptions can be adjusted based on the needs of a specific Landowner. If wildlife habitat is a goal of the harvest, there are a number of ways to enhance the forest habitat for wildlife. Patch clear cuts and group selections create browse (the buds on sapling growth) that deer, bear, turkeys, and moose all need for food. Retaining mast trees such as oak for acorns, beech for beech nuts, and black cherry can increase the amount of food present for a variety of wildlife. Dense softwood stands that show evidence of deer yards (wintering areas) are protected during logging operations. Group selections along the edge of these areas can provide nearby food for deer during the winter when they are saving their energy for warmth and have a difficult time navigating through deep snow. Dead snags or cavity trees (if safe) are left to provide homes for squirrels, birds, bugs, woodpeckers, raccoons, porcupines, and raptors to land on and hunt from.
If you are looking for Wildlife Habitat Creation, Call or Contact Hooper Hill Forestry today!
Looking for a different forestry service?
We can also assist you with Timber Harvesting, Timber Appraisals, Land Acquisition, Stewardship and Current Use, GIS Mapping, Forest Health Evaluations, Boundary Line Maintenance, Sugarbush Management, Wildlife Habitat, View Creation, and Forest Roads and Trail Building. We are New Hampshire and Vermont’s premier, licensed, forestry professionals. If there is still another forestry or logging service you are looking for, please contact us. We work with a large network of other industry professionals and would be delighted to help you in the right direction. We look forward to hearing from you.